Sunday, February 28, 2010

Reflection

This course has led me to some very profound changes that I have implemented within my personal theory of learning. I do not believe that my foundational stance has shifted, as I remain quite structured and assertively behaviorist in nature. However, with the implementation of student voice threads(http://tgosepanski.wikispaces.com/VT+Add) and construction of artifacts such as mind maps created through the program Inspiration and Webspiration, I have recognized significant student gains in knowledge. Student mastery of basic concepts has risen steadily as less time is spent on traditional instruction and more time has been allocated to constructivist ideas and practices.

One of the most basic manifestations came this last week with my 7th Grade Pre-Algebra class. We were studying a concept regarding using multipliers to convert between different units of measurement. After guiding the kids in how to think, I led a discussion about who was actually going to use these procedures? This led to an assertion that, "There's an App for that!" I pointed out to the kids the converter that exists on my class website and further, I pointed out 2 converters that I have on my iPhone that they could download to their own iTouch's. We discussed the need to have a rudimentary understanding of unit sizes in order to be "educated." However, students will be allowed to use technological devices on their next assessment. It is ludicrous not to encourage this practice.

Tomorrow's class begins using voice threads to discuss relevant topics covered in the standard curriculum. What follows is an opportunity for students to convey an actual understanding of what is necessary to have mastered and at their fingertips as compared to what is reasonable to access electronically.

It is through the acceptance of change that we step forward. I have begun to recognize that Missouri Grade Level Expectations allow a framework of essentialist mastery while teaching and learning gravitate toward collaborative constructivism of relevant artifacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment