Sunday, October 31, 2010

Reflective Essay

Differentiated Instruction and Universal Design for Learning is a state of mind. I found this statement to be empirically correct through innovative teaching the last time that I set foot in a classroom. Last Friday, I taught my class in a way that my fellow teachers deemed “Cloning.”

As I considered what to teach last Friday, I longed for an easier class period, but the pressure remained for what I need to cover in the timeframe as established by my administration. I had recently employed a program, which I shared through my Differentiation Station network, called Podcast Capture. This program enables teachers to very quickly capture and record podcasts and to link them to websites, blogs and iTunes. I had previously used this resource to post reviews of difficult problems for my students to study prior to unit testing. Podcast Capture is found on all Apple computers within the Utilities folder.

I have been very fortunate to acquire a document camera and to place it on my podium. The camera allows a live feed of whatever I am writing on my podium and allows me to face my students as I instruct my class in a way similar to an overhead projector. It is ironic how we take steps forward and then back to regroup and recall what is truly effective instruction. This camera was literally collecting dust on a shelf. Now, after seeing what might be accomplished, all of my fellow teachers want one. Somewhere, in the back of my mind was born an idea. I endeavored to record a series of three instructive podcasts with which to introduce the process/procedure for solving multiplication equations. This skill is an essential skill at the core of pre-algebra. I posted the podcasts to my class wiki, and shortly after the class completed a quiz over a prior lesson, I broke the class into pre-selected collaborative groups, requiring each group to get one laptop out of the cart. I then instructed the class to go to the wiki and to play at least one podcast regarding the solving of multiplication equations. As the students watched, I distributed a standard worksheet, and monitored their levels of involvement. It was obvious that I had nearly one hundred percent participation. Most students were immediately successful with regard to the required practice problems, but others required more intensive remediation. I simply circulated around the classroom and assisted some students one-on-one, as needed, re-watching podcasts in freeze frame mode while providing extra coaching and encouragement. The success level and motivation was phenomenal.

At the end of the day, I took a little time to stop by my principal’s office to let him know what I had been doing. He was extremely interested and went immediately to the class website to view the podcasts himself. He indicated that he would share these ideas at his next district principal’s meeting.
As I near the end of my Master’s program, my enthusiasm is beginning to wane. I long to spend Wednesday and Sunday evenings stress free in the company of my wife and six year old son. Regardless, weather by osmosis or immersion, I continue to evolve and develop as a teacher, and due to my devotion to my profession, I am extremely grateful to this Walden course of study and the excellent collaboration with fellow teachers.

There are two different types of categories that support diverse learners, assistive/adaptive and supportive (Bray, Brown, & Green, 2004). I found the podcasting instruction to be both. Students with difficulties could pause as needed to absorb or receive instruction that they otherwise would be unable to grasp. Podcasts could also be accessed at home for reinforcement of newly gained knowledge. Utmost, the technology allowed me to be in more than one place at a time so that I could reach many students directly. I was able to actually observe and adapt my own teaching as the students were absorbing it through a multiple-pathways approach. Although I’ve had many inspired teaching moments, I cannot recall one by which I could have been more proactively diagnosing and differentiating. Tomlinson states that “Every child is worth the best and only by giving them your best can you affirm your belief in them” (Laureate, 2009). My students received the best teaching in a magnificently direct manner that absolutely conveyed my belief that they had the ability to acquire mastery of the clearly stated objective. Students surpassed my highest expectations.

Finally, as I reflect back to the spark that ignited this instructional strategy that flowed through me I recall a statement made by Dr. Stephanie Throne regarding Differentiated Instruction and technology integration. She claimed that this method of teaching was a “Mindset” (Laureate, 2009). This state of mind with which I enter my classroom has direct and significant implications upon my students’ success.

No comments:

Post a Comment